How long does it take for CBD to work?
CBD or cannabidiol is a chemical compound extracted from cannabis plants. Since the legalization of industrial hemp, the CBD industry is gaining popularity at an exponential rate. And because CBD is not a psychoactive drug like THC, a lot of people are comfortable with using CBD products.
So you’ve decided to jump in on the trend and try CBD oil for the very first time. Many new users wonder the same thing: how long it takes for CBD to work. But before you start asking that question, let’s find out what effects you may experience when taking CBD.
The time it takes to feel the effects of CBD varies from person to person, so you may need to do a bit of trial and error in your first days. To reach homeostasis, CBD must be taken daily for 2-4 weeks.
The effects of CBD oil
CBD, like all types of cannabinoids, attach certain receptors to the body and produce perceptible effects. Specifically, CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which has naturally-occurring cannabis-like molecules. Just like transmitters, endocannabinoids send messages all throughout the body to help regulate homeostasis.
There are a lot of effects associated with the use of CBD, and it differs from user to user. Here are some of the effects of CBD, which are deemed beneficial by its users:
Most CBD consumers use CBD oil to relieve bodily pain without experiencing the psychoactive effects of marijuana itself, which is also beneficial for pain relief. Since CBD directly interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system, the substance helps reduce inflammation and relieve muscle pain. Moreover, CBD oil may help alleviate pain associated with conditions such as multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Reduction of anxiety and depression
Although this is still up for debate, many CBD users swear by the product for helping them cope with anxiety and/or depression. Even though there is still no solid evidence to prove that this is, in fact, true, CBD is still worth trying to help manage symptoms of anxiety and depression.
How does it work? Simply put, CBD helps relax the nervous system and tones down the ‘fight or flight’ response of the body. Many people with anxiety find CBD as a better natural approach than taking pharmaceutical drugs, which can lead to substance abuse. Moreover, some people who live with these mental disorders discover that CBD is a better treatment regimen than medication, but that is entirely subjective.
Alleviation of cancer-related symptoms
Side effects of cancer treatment and symptoms of cancer, including nausea, vomiting, and pain, can be alleviated by CBD products. In most cancer patients, the addition of CBD to traditional medication shows a significant reduction in treatment-related illnesses.
Another promising effect of CBD is the induction of cell death in cancer cells. However, these studies are still in the animal testing stage, but they indicate a possibility of CBD being effective against cancer in humans.
How you take CBD can determine how long it takes to feel the benefits
How long does it take for CBD to work?
If you’re taking CBD for the first time, you may be anxious about how much time should pass before you start feeling the effects. Is it going to take only a few minutes? An hour? A few days? Let’s talk about that in this section.
- Sublingual. CBD oil tincture taken under the tongue may take as quickly as 5-10 minutes or as long as 20 minutes. If you want the CBD to work faster, hold the oil in your mouth for 60-90 seconds to allow the receptors in your mouth to absorb the active ingredients. The effects may last up to 8 hours.
- Vape. Taking CBD via vape can make you feel the effects immediately. However, it may take more than a few puffs to take into full effect. The effects won’t last much long–around 1-2 hours.
- Topical. Applying CBD on the skin will take about 15-30 minutes before the ingredients are absorbed and you feel its effects, which can last up to 3 hours.
- Edibles. If you ingest CBD by incorporating it into an edible product, it may take about a half-hour to an hour to feel the effects since CBD needs to be digested by the stomach first. This form of ingestion can last most of your day, longer than the other methods.
However, be warned that it’s not the same for everybody. The time it takes to feel the effects of CBD varies from person to person, so you may need to do a bit of trial and error in your first days. To reach homeostasis, CBD must be taken daily for 2-4 weeks. Again this varies from person to person, depending on the dosage amount, the type of CBD, an individual’s body mass, and metabolism.
Furthermore, you may need to tweak the dosage of your CBD if the effects don’t last as long as it should, or take longer to be effective. Be patient. It may take a few tries before you find the perfect dose. Over time, you may also develop a tolerance to CBD so prepare to up the dosage every once in a while. Check out Purility’s dosage calculator to make things easier for you.
Tips for maximizing the CBD experience
To make sure you’re getting the most out of your CBD products, here are some tips on how to maximize the experience:
- Listen to what your body is telling you. Cut back on the dosage if it gets a little too much for your liking, or increase the dose if you don’t feel anything at all.
- Experiment with dosages. There’s no one-size-fits-all dosage for CBD. Since it varies from person to person, learn what dosage and which dosing schedule works for you.
- Sit back and relax. To maximize the relaxing effects of CBD, ingest it before taking a warm bath or spending the night in with a good book.
CBD has a lot of amazing benefits for you and the whole family with a lot of potential for future developments. Now that you know how long it takes for CBD to work, you can start determining your ideal dosage and dosing schedule for the best CBD experience.