CBD Oil for Dogs: Improving Your Pet’s Life
In some states across the country, medical cannabis is an accepted option for people seeking relief from various ailments. Today, as more studies are conducted on this newest health trend, it was found out that CBD can also help your dog reap the same health-boosting benefits. Several pet parents and veterinarians are getting more and more interested in how this all-natural elixir works to better their pet’s overall health.
If you’re interested in giving your furry companion CBD, here’s what you should know about CBD for dogs.
What You Should Know About CBD Oil for Dogs
With the booming craze on CBD, perhaps you may still have doubts using them for your pet because of the stigma associated with cannabis. Contrary to the heavily stigmatized “high” or “buzz” effects, CBD does not get your pets ‘high.’ CBD for dogs is made from hemp extract and not from marijuana.
Cannabidiol or CBD is the non-psychoactive compound found in the hemp and cannabis plants that brings several therapeutic properties. Apparently, it’s not only beneficial to humans, but it’s also useful for improving animal wellness. Similar to how it benefits humans, it works the same way by attaching to the cannabinoid receptors found in the dog’s body system that causes a range of health benefits. However, it’s crucial to take note that one should use products formulated for pets rather than the regular CBD oil.
It’s the psychoactive compound called THC that brings paranoia to people, which can also be dangerous for animals. THC is primarily found in the marijuana plant while CBD is found in both marijuana and hemp. Rest assured that CBD products for pets are made from hemp extract and not from marijuana. Hemp extracts, by law, should contain no more than 0.3% THC, which makes it a safe level for pets to take.
Should You Try CBD Oil For Your Dog?
If your dog regularly suffers from anxiety and stress, he is not alone. It’s a common scenario for dogs to experience nervousness due to a lot of factors, including separation anxiety, new surroundings, loud noises of the fireworks, or significant changes in their daily routine. While western medicine has traditionally been the best and only option for these health problems, as well as other ailments such as allergies and pain, new studies suggest an alternative treatment.
These days, a new type of health option is on the rise – CBD oil for dogs. But, how does CBD oil work? And why consider using it for your dog?
The Benefits of CBD Oil to Dogs
CBD oil for dogs has become so popular, and many pet owners are loving all the benefits that come with it. Here are 7 primary CBD oil benefits:
- Relieves Pain: CBD oil is primarily known for its painkilling properties. Studies have shown that CBD can help relieve chronic pain felt by your pup. CBD is known to have an effect on the endocannabinoid system, which is deeply involved in pain management.
- Reduces the Severity and Risk of Seizures: CBD is a natural convulsant, which means it has the ability to help control and reduce the duration of seizures, spasms, tics, and tremors. CBD oil is particularly useful for pet owners with dogs that suffer from regular seizures.
- Helps Prevent Arthritis: CBD also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce joint swelling that may possibly lead to arthritis in dogs. Its anti-inflammatory effects are believed to be associated with its ability to interact with immune cell receptors. CBD activates the CB2 receptors found inside immune cells that produce a variety of immune responses.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Common forms of anxiety experienced by dogs include separation anxiety, noise anxiety, and even specific phobias, such as fear of fireworks and thunder. CBD oil is useful in reducing symptoms of these anxieties by producing calming effects to both humans and our furry friends.
- Works as an Antiemetic: Studies have shown that CBD can significantly reduce nausea and suppress subsequent vomiting reflex. Moreover, CBD is also believed to stimulate appetite that helps pets that are having a hard time getting food down.
- Helps Fight Against Cancer: CBD oil can alleviate cancer-related symptoms in both humans and dogs. Based on a growing body of research, CBD may slow down the cell growth and spread of tumors.
- Promotes Homeostasis: CBD is popularly used not only as an alternative treatment for a specific illness but also as a regular supplement. Many pet parents use CBD oil to boost the overall health and wellness of their furry companion.
Is CBD Oil Safe for Your Furry Friend?
CBD oil is generally safe for pet animals. There’s no associated risk of addiction or intoxication since it has very minimal to no THC content at all, which makes it perfectly safe for dogs to take. When it comes to side effects, they are mostly mild and usually of limited duration.
While similar to most medications, CBD might have different effects depending on the health condition of the one using it. That is why it is crucial to be a smart and responsible pet owner when it comes to purchasing CBD oil products for your furry friend.
Here are some helpful tips when you are buying CBD oil for your dog:
- First, consult with your veterinarian on what’s best for your pet.
- Look for organic CBD oil or at least products that are free from pesticides, solvents, fungicides, and additives.
- Avoid resorting to the cheapest option that could possibly contain toxic substances. It’s still wise to invest on CBD oil products that are of higher quality and purity, regardless of its price.
- Look for the product’s certificate of analysis which will tell you the amount of CBD and THC in the product.
- Determine the appropriate CBD oil dosage for your dog by consulting with your pet’s veterinarian. It depends on several factors, so it’s best to make sure that you’re correctly promoting your pet’s overall health.
CBD oil is a miracle product that is becoming increasingly popular in the wellness community. And because it has little to zero THC content, our furry friends can also benefit from its outstanding health benefits. Most especially if your pet suffers from chronic pain, stress, anxiety, or inflammatory conditions like arthritis, CBD oil would be a conventional treatment in conjunction with traditional medicine. If you would like to learn more come visit our CBD Educational page for pets here.